Presidency University Library:
Presidency University’s Extensive Library System Supports learning, teaching & research with good collections, innovative service and inspiring spaces. Our collection covers many conceivable aspect of human endeavor. We are here to support your search for Knowledge providing print and electronic resource with organized Governance of library flexibly when and where you need it. We are committed to enrich our library.
Text and reference Books, CDs, Floppies and subscription to 10 different Daily News Papers and Magazine.
- Members will be allowed to read or use any book or educational materials inside the library. They will need a library card for issuing any book and other library materials.
- Some books or materials (limited in number and of high demand) may be issued for a limited time only.
- Current journals, periodicals, reference and others materials may be used inside the library only.
- The members are responsible for the good condition of the books and resources borrowed and their timely return.
- Library materials will be issued by the designated library officer and need to be returned at the circulation desk during the working hours.
- Library Officer may ask to return books and materials issued to a member. Member asked to return books and materials will be given a week's notice for returning the items to the library.
- Silence is to be strictly maintained in the Library.
- The library is a place for self-study; users’ behavior should reflect this and they should respect the needs of others.
- Persons using the library shall abstain from any kind of discussions or group study and any other form of noise is not allowed inside the Library.
- Mobile phones should be switched off inside the library.
- Exercise copy, pens, pencil, rubber, geometric boxes, and calculators, loose pages etc. are allowed inside the library.
- Readers are advised not to leave their valuable items like money, passport, credit card etc. in the library.
- Users should not rest or keep their feet on tables, chairs, shelves, etc.
- The library shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of the personal belongings of the users.
- The Librarian reserves the right to suspend the membership of any member found misbehaving with the library staff or with any other member or otherwise fail to comply with these rules and regulations.
- Playing games on computers is strictly prohibited in the entire Library premises.
- Readers must carry their Library Membership card while using the Digital Library. They must show their ID card on demand.
- Books for return are to be deposited at the counter at least 15 minutes before closing of the lending hours.
All students in good standing (No restriction for Disciplinary, Academic and Financial grounds), Full time & Part time faculties, Administrative Personnel & Office Support Staff, Research & Teaching Assistants of Presidency University are eligible to apply for library membership. Library cards are issued within 7 working days. Library membership forms (PUF-79 & PUF-80) are available at the library, SIMS and Student’s portal.
Membership Categories and Requirements for Membership:
Students of Under Graduate and Graduate programs of Presidency University:
Students need to provide valid registration and / or proper authorization from the Registrar's Office, 2 recent passport size photographs along with the Membership Application Form to the library staff.
Faculty Members (Full time, Part time, Adjunct, Visiting and Contractual) of Presidency University:
Faculties need to submit 2 recent passport size photographs along with the Membership Application Form to the library staff. Chair / Director / Head of the Department need to certify the faculty member.
Teacher Assistant /Research Assistant of Presidency University:
TA / RA have to submit 2 passport size photographs along with the Membership Application Form to the library staff. Chair / Director / Head of the Department is required to certify the T/A / R/A.
Administrative Personnel & Office Support Staff of Presidency University:
Administrative personnel & Staff are required to submit 2 recent passport size photographs along with the Membership Application Form to the library staff. The Registrar's Office need to certify the Administrative personnel & Staff.
Members of the Board of Trustees of Presidency University:
Members are required to submit 2 recent passport size photographs along with the Membership Application Form to the library staff. The Vice Chancellor or the Pro-Vice Chancellor is required to introduce these members.
Duration and Quantity of Borrowing Library Books:
- Administrative personnel & Office Support Staff will be eligible to borrow a maximum of 3 books for 1 month and other materials a maximum of 2 for 7 days duration at a go.
Rules, if anyone loses library books:
- Members will be responsible for the books issued on their membership card. Loss of library books/card should be informed immediately to the Librarian.
- For any damage found at the time of retuning of an issued document, the borrower has to pay a cost for the repair of the same.
- If the damaged/lost book is part of a multi-volume set, the whole set has to be replaced.
- The member, however, will continue to be responsible for any loss which the library may suffer through the misuse of a lost membership card.
- Fines and Penalties:
If Books are not returned by the due dates, TK. 20/- (Taka twenty) only per day will be fined and if other materials (CD/DVD-ROM) are not returned by the due dates, TK. 5/- (Taka five) only per day will be fined. Returned date after due date will not be more than 7 days.
If the borrowed library material is not returned within 7 days after due date, it will be assumed that the borrowed item has been lost by the borrower.S/he will be liable for the full replacement cost and accumulated fines for the item borrowed.
- Replacement/compensation procedures for lost items:
- An application addressing to the Librarian is required for replacement or compensation for lost item mentioning the actual reasons.
- The borrower must replace the lost book/CD/DVD-ROM by a new and unused copy of the same author(s), title, and edition. The old edition can be replaced by the latest edition. Or, Compensation must be paid as determined by the library authority.
- User will be liable for the full replacement cost and accumulated fines for the item borrowed.
- Compensation for library materials damaged or lost by the borrower will be assessed by the library, and this assessment is final.
- Replacements/ Compensation procedure for lost or damaged items should be completed within next 7 (seven) working days after placing application.
Rules for the Library Card:
- Library Card Replacement fees for damaged/expired cases Tk. 50 (Taka fifty) and for lost cases Tk. 100 (Taka one hundred).
- Damaged/Expired Library card must be returned to the Library.
- Newly issued or replaced library cards validity will not be more than one (1) year.
- Fees must be deposited in the PU’s Account by the form PUF-83.
Borrowing Policy at a Glance
Books borrowing duration
Books borrowing limit
Full time Faculty
Part time Faculty
From the date starting a semester.
Administrative personnel & Office Support Staff